Friday, February 22, 2013

Five for Friday - She Get it From Her Mama

Some people call their grandmothers: grandma, granny, nana, gigi, abuela.  I call mine Mama.

Mama, me, John, and Papa
Here are a list of five things I get from Mama:
  1. My life.  Without my grandma, my mom would not exist and, therefore, neither would I.  Fact.
  2. My clumsiness.  I am so clumsy I once tripped over (and as a result removed, ouch!) my younger cousin's catheter while I was visiting him in the hospital.  (We still talk and are on very good terms but some how the story usually gets brought up during every visit.)  Mama was just as bad though I don't think she had a story that could top mine.
  3. My sweet tooth.  Everyone in my family, except for Mama and I, crave salt.  We on the the other hand always have sweets (be it candy, cookies, cake, pie, etc.) around.
  4. My love of the kitchen.  I have so many memories of Mama being in the kitchen and me helping or just watching.  She was a fantastic cook.
  5. My rice and bean recipe.  A staple for any Puerto Rican cook.  Mine comes from Mama.  I can remember many years ago writing down the directions as I watched her make it for me to learn.
I get these things and so many more from Mama so much so that I have previously been told I could never deny she was my grandma.  That's ok with me though because I would never want to.

I love you, Mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment